Common Questions & Answers

Where is the police department located?
What are your business hours?
  • Our officers work 24 hours a day and 365 days a year.  Our police department front office is open Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. It is closed on Nationally observed holidays.
How do I get a copy on an accident or incident report?
  • To obtain a copy of an accident or incident report, an individual must complete a Reports/Visual Media Request Form and submit it to the Department.  Please see the procedures in the Right to Know Requests tab under the Forms tab.
How do I pay for a traffic citation I received?
  • To pay for a traffic citation, you will need to complete the bottom portion of the citation and mail it back to District Court along with the appropriate payment.  Please see the Resources tab for the location, hours and phone number of District Court.
I received a traffic citation and feel that I did not commit the offense charged, what do I do?
  • If you feel you received a traffic citation and did not commit the offense you can need to complete the bottom portion of the citation and return it to District Court to request a hearing. Please see the Resources tab for the location, hours and phone number of District Court.
Why aren't officers out catching "real criminals" instead of writing tickets?
  • Our Department is committed to effective traffic enforcement to reduce accidents, apprehend impaired drivers and to ensure a high degree of safety on our roadways. In 2018, officers from the Department performed over 3,800 traffic stops issuing citations, written warnings and verbal warnings to help keep our roadways safe.
How many arrest does your Department have in a year?
  • In 2018, our Department arrested over 400 persons for various crimes ranging from Armed Robbery to Disorderly Conduct.
How do I pay for a parking ticket I received?
  • Parking tickets are to be paid at police headquarters during normal business hours. The fee is $20.00 and cash or check are the only forms of payment accepted.
I received a parking ticket and feel that I did not park illegally. What do I do?
  • If you feel you received a parking ticket unfairly, you can choose not to pay it and after 10 days a traffic citation or non-traffic citation will be issued to the owner of the vehicle which you will receive in the mail.  You can then respond to that citation by requesting a hearing which will be held in front of a District Justice.
How long does it take officers to respond to a call for service?
  • Our response time (the time from when we receive the call to the time we arrive on the scene) is excellent. Unfortunately, we occasionally have all of our units busy on calls, so we must prioritize the calls based on the seriousness of the call and the potential for injury to persons and damage to property.
Can a police officer open my car if I locked my keys inside?
  • Officers from the Department are equipped with special tools that can assist person who have put themselves in this difficult situation.
Can I ask a police officer to check my drivers license or license plate to see if it is valid?
  • No, since State and Federal regulations prohibit officers from using the computer to retrieve information not related to investigative purposes, and the information can only be shared with law enforcement agencies.
Why can't officers intervene or resolve a civil matter?
  • Officers generally do not actively become involved in civil disputes as they are not empowered by state statute to do so. These incidents are best dealt with by contacting an attorney or the District Court.