VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR YOUTH AID PANEL (YAP)
Bensalem Township Residents:
The Bensalem Township Police Department is searching for volunteers to staff our Youth Aid Panel. The Youth Aid Panel serves as an alternative to juvenile court for first-time, non-violent juvenile offenders. The Panel meets one time per month – on the second Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday - to hear cases. Volunteers act as a team of informal judges who decide how a juvenile offender can repair the harm caused by their delinquent act.
This program has been active in Bensalem for many years. Many of our volunteers have served on the panel for 10 + years. Volunteer openings on the panel are rare. Once you attend the four training classes, only one meeting per month and occasional phone contact with the juveniles is required. This is a rewarding opportunity that is not time consuming! Please review the requirements. If you are interested, please go to www.bucksyouthaid.org - print and complete the application. Return it to Tracey Buechner at Bensalem PD (email@example.com), by mail, or in person.
- 18 or older with no Criminal History
- Able to obtain Pennsylvania clearances for working with children (no disqualifying arrests, no child abuse history)
- Must be of good moral character as verified by a police records check, driving record, etc.
- Able to work with a group to reach a consensus on appropriate obligations for offenders.
- Able to communicate professionally with offenders and their families.
- Available on the second Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday evening each month.
- Able to attend the Training Series for new members – location to be determined