Q: Where do I renew a license or car registration?

A: The department cannot renew either, please contact a tag service, AAA or the PennDOT Website for assistance.

Q: Does the Police Department do fingerprinting for applications, etc.?

A: Yes. This service is provided free of charge to township residents. The hours of operation are Tuesday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. There is no appointment needed, fingerprinting is done on a first come first serve basis. A copy of your driver’s license or passport or other form of verifiable Government identification is required. If you do not have a fingerprint card(s) supplied to you, the Police Department uses form FD258 and does have a supply of them. Please call 215-343-3311 for further details.

Q: How do I get a crash report?

A: Crash Reports are available at the front counter of the Police Department. There is a schedule of fees for various types of reports. Please call 215-343-3311 to request the report or additional information.

Q: Where can I purchase a dog license?

A: Starting December 1, 2010 a PA dog license can be purchased on-line at www.padoglicenses.com

Q: Where do I pay my township issued parking ticket?

A: Township issued parking tickets may be submitted in person at the police station during normal business hours or sent via U.S. Mail. If you do not respond to the township issued parking ticket within 72 hours, a state citation will be filed and you will incur further costs. Checks are payable to "Warrington Township Police Department."

Q: Where do I pay a traffic ticket?

A: A traffic ticket or citation should be paid within 10 days and mailed to the district court listed on the citation.

District Court # 07-3-02

1720 Kendarbren Drive, Suite 711 Jamison, PA 18929 215-343-0627

Q: What do I do if I feel a traffic citation is unfair?

A: Plead Not Guilty and request a hearing from the District Justice. Call 215-343-0627 for more information or read and fill out the back of the ticket you have received.

Q: What hours is the department open?

A: Twenty-four hours a day, seven days per week. For counter service, (reports, permits, etc.), 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. The building is closed for counter service on all legal holidays.

Q: How do I get a copy of a police report for my insurance company?

A: Request that your insurance company contact the police department. Typically, it will expedite the situation if the department deals directly with the insurance company and it saves you time and work.

Q: What if the insurance company requests that I provide the report?

A: Reports are available at the front counter of the Administration Building. There is a schedule of fees for various types of reports. Please call 215-343-3311 to request the report or additional information.

Q. How do I get a copy of a police report?

A: Reports are available at police headquarters, incident reports cost $5.00, and reportable accident reports cost $15.00 each. Exact cash is preferred since we cannot always make change. Checks or money orders made at to “Warrington Township Police Department” are acceptable as well.

Q: What is the average time for a report to be completed?

A: Reports vary in time of completion. Some are very simple and can be completed usually in 3 to 5 days. Others such as Reportable Accident reports can take 15 days. Please be patient, as the report will be completed.

Q: Can I ride a motorized scooter, quad, motorized bike, or go-cart on the streets or anywhere else?

A: If it is motorized, the operator needs to have a license, registration and insurance for the vehicle. The vehicle also must have the proper equipment to be driven on the roads, such as turn signals, lights, brake lights, a valid registration tag, etc. The mini bikes, go-carts, quads and scooters are not legal to ride at this time in Pennsylvania, unless you are on private property and have permission to ride there. If you do ride at an approved location, always wear helmets and the proper safety equipment. Violation of this or any other part of this section can result in traffic tickets, just as if you were operating a car or truck. The vehicle may also be towed.

Q: How dark can I have the aftermarket tinting on my car windows?

A: Aftermarket tinting is legal on the driver's side and passenger's side glass of vehicles as long at the light transmitted to the inside is at least 70% of the outside light. The Police do have tint meters and it is a primary offense, which means you can be stopped for the tinting only.

Q. What is an abandoned vehicle and how do I report it?

A: Under the PA Vehicle Code, an abandoned vehicle is defined as a vehicle which,

  1. is physically inoperable and left unattended on a highway or other public property for more than 48 hours; or
  2. has remained illegally on a highway or other public property for more than 48 hours; or
  3. is left unattended on or along a highway or other public property for more than 48 hours and does not bear all of the following: (a) a valid registration plate, (b) a current certificate of inspection or (c) an ascertainable vehicle identification number (VIN); or
  4. has remained on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property for more than 24 hours.

The Police Department's Traffic Safety Unit will investigate vehicles which fall under the abandoned vehicle criteria above, except for vehicles which are on private property. Removal of vehicles on private property shall be the sole responsibility of the property owner, lessee or person in control of said property.