For the hiring of police officers, the Doylestown Township Police Department conforms to the hiring standards put forth by the Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission (MPOETC). To apply for the position of Police Officer, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Age: twenty-one (21) years at the time of appointment (twenty and a half [20½] years at time of application. All applicants shall take residency in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania within 60 days of employment.
- Health and Physical Condition: applicant must be in good health and physical condition. Applicants will be required to successfully complete a physical agility test in accordance with MPOETC standards.
- Citizenship: Applicant must be a United States Citizen at time of appointment.
- Education: Minimum high school graduate or equivalent (G.E.D.). Must be able to read, write and speak the English language fluently.
- Background: Applicants must be of the highest caliber – no felony or misdemeanor criminal convictions will be accepted. Must have suitable driving record and valid Pennsylvania operators license prior to appointment. Applicants must have positive employment and financial history.
- Essential job functions: Applicants must be able to perform the essential job functions as a patrol officer.
The Doylestown Township Police Department participates in the Bucks County Consortium which is a collaborative written testing process utilized by most of Bucks County’s police departments. The consortium test is administered by the Director the Bucks County Police Training Center in Doylestown. In lieu of testing, the Doylestown Township Police also accepts resumes from interested applicants possessing Act 120 certification who are currently employed with another agency. When hiring, the Doylestown Township Police will offer interviews to qualified applicants from an applicant pool comprised of both the written consortium testing and resumes on file. All applicants will be competitively ranked following the oral boards.