Philadelphia man convicted of first-degree murder in killing of two at Upper Bucks campground

A Philadelphia man was convicted by a Bucks County jury on Monday, Nov. 15, 2021, of two counts of first-degree murder for killing two men in October 2019 at a campground in upper Bucks County.

Miles K. Jones, 42, shot and killed Eric Braxton, 41, and Arthur Hill, 46, both of Philadelphia, on Oct. 19, 2019, at the Homestead Campground in West Rockhill Township after the victims intervened in an altercation involving Jones and his girlfriend.

Jones was also convicted of 13 counts of recklessly endangering another person and one count each of firearms not to be carried without a license and possession of an instrument of crime. He is scheduled to be sentenced on Thursday, Nov. 18.

“I’m so proud of our prosecution team for getting justice for Mr. Braxton and Mr. Hill and their families,” District Attorney Matt Weintraub said. “Guaranteeing life sentences without the possibility of parole for the defendant will allow their families to grieve for them as they wish. This way, Mr. Jones doesn’t get one single win as a result.”

During a two-week trial before Common Pleas Judge Diane E. Gibbons, Deputy District Attorneys Edward M. Louka and Megan Hunsicker showed that Jones callously murdered the two men who were attempting to calm Jones during an altercation he was having with his girlfriend.

Jones’ attorney claimed Jones acted in self-defense, but Louka argued that “self-defense is not revenge.”

“He was the aggressor with anyone he came into contact with that night,” Louka said. “He did not have a reasonable belief that he was in any danger for his life.”

During closing arguments, Louka told the jury that Jones told the victims what he was going to do and then he did it. Before opening fire, Jones told the campers, “You’re all going to pay. Nobody’s safe.”

Jones was invited on the camping trip with a group of 15 other people, mostly friends and relatives of his girlfriend. It was an annual camping trip for the group, held at the Homestead Campgrounds in the 1100 block of Allentown Road.

At around 2 a.m. in the morning, an argument erupted between Jones and his girlfriend, and the woman told Jones to leave the tent they were sharing. An altercation ensued, during which Jones flipped the tent before the victims came to the woman’s assistance.

Hill was with his two sons when they tried to calm Jones, but instead Jones violently pushed Hill. One of Hill’s sons defended his father by punching Jones and knocking him to the ground.

While Jones was on the ground, he told them they were going to pay for this and “nobody’s safe.”    

Some of the group walked Jones to his girlfriend’s car to calm him down and separate him from his girlfriend. Jones then retrieved a 9mm handgun and shot Braxton in the chest. The other campers ran into the woods for safety and Jones shot Hill in the back as he was trying to flee.

This case was investigated by Bucks County Detectives along with the Pennridge Regional Police Department and Central Bucks Special Response Team Crime Scene Unit and was prosecuted by Deputy District Attorney Edward M. Louka and Deputy District Attorney Megan Hunsicker.

Media Contact: Manuel Gamiz Jr., 215.348.6298,