PENNSYLVANIA FIREWORKS LAW
As we approach the Fourth of July Holiday the police department experiences an increase in fireworks related complaints. Although certain non-commercial consumer grade fireworks are legal in Pennsylvania there are restrictions on their use:
- They cannot be ignited or discharged on a public or private property without express permission of the property owner.
- They cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building.
- They cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building.
- They cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure, whether or not a person is actually present.
- They cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.
Additionally certain fireworks may be considered a noise disturbance at certain hours and may fall under the Boroughs Disorderly Conduct Ordinance.
The following link provides guidance on the types of permitted fireworks: https://www.psp.pa.gov/public-safety/Pages/fireworks-safety.aspx