INCIDENT BLOTTER: JULY 17 - 23, 2020
July 17, 2020
- A Newtown Township resident contacted police to report a fraud. The resident related that he may have been a target for identity theft. When he checked with the credit bureaus, he discovered that there was a credit check from Verizon Wireless in the amount of $1,259.00 in May of 2019. He did not suffer a loss and was advised to monitor his credit more frequently.
July 18, 2020
- Police responded to The Grey Stone Fine Food and Spirits located on Washington Crossing Road for the report of disorderly conduct at approximately 8:30 pm. According to the complainant, the operator of a silver Nissan or Toyota was driving by the restaurant and repeatedly shouting profanities through a bull horn. Police checked the area and stayed on scene with negative results.
July 19, 2020
- While on routine patrol in the area of the Newtown Skate Park, an officer observed several males and females in the park after hours at 10:30 pm. The officer made contact with the individuals and advised them that the park was closed. The group agreed to leave the area.
July 20, 2020
- At approximately 1:30 am police conducted a traffic stop on the operator of a silver 2011 Ford Escape for committing a vehicle code violation on the Newtown Bypass in the area of Newtown Gate Drive. As a result of the stop, a small amount of suspected marijuana and drug paraphernalia was discovered and seized as evidence. The operator was advised that charges would be mailed.
- At 10:00 am patrol responded to Chick-Fil-A for the report of a fraud that had occurred over the weekend. The shift manager explained that she had received a phone call on the business phone and spoke with an individual that claimed to be from corporate. The caller instructed her to take cash from the registers and to exchange it for gift cards. The total value of loss was approximately $2,300.00, and an investigation is ongoing.
- At 1:45 pm a Newtown Township resident contacted police to report an unemployment fraud. She explained that she was advised by the PA Department of Treasury that someone had attempted to use her social security number to file for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. The Treasury Department advised her to file a police report and to fill out their identity theft form online.
July 21, 2020
- At approximately 11:00 am police received the report of a theft from the Newtown Athletic Club. A wallet was stolen out of a locker inside the men’s locker room sometime during Friday night.
July 22, 2020
- Police responded to the Rite Aid located at 1 Ice Cream Alley for a report of retail theft at approximately 2:45 am. The Loss Prevention employee reported that a male walked out of the store with 5 boxes of Dove Soap products valued at $50.00 in total. The employee followed him into the Village of Newtown shopping center and lost sight of him behind Saladworks. While canvassing the area, patrol located and made contact with a male matching the description in the area of Newtown Bagel around 4:15 am. The male admitted to being at Rite Aid, and the products were recovered. The male was issued a citation for retail theft.